This course is about the art and science of influence in organizations. While many people are ambivalent, even disdainful, of those who wield power and influence at work, organizations are fundamentally political entities, and power and influence are key mechanisms by which things get done. Without political capital your ideas will too often fail to be recognized or implemented and your career progression will be more challenging and potentially limited. All aspiring leaders therefore stand to benefit from developing greater political acumen.
Section 1 –
We discussed how to convey credibility, assertiveness, trustworthiness, and so forth. Write an essay in which you answer the following questions within 2 pages.
- On which of five facets would you like to improve – credibility, assertiveness, trustworthiness, likeability, or openness to others?
- Why that facet (or those facets)? For example, have you received feedback in the past about them, did you observe something?
- What benefits do you anticipate reaping from making those improvements?
- What 2-3 specific behaviors would you like to change?
- What is your plan for change? (Will you use an outside-in or an inside-out approach? Specifically how will you use that approach?)
Section 2 –
This section should address the following five questions in 4 pages:
- What are your career goals over the next five years? The next 10 years?
- Think about the organization you hope to join at some point during this journey. What are the power dynamics inherent in your future job? (How is power distributed across the? Who are the key stakeholders, what are their interests and sources of power? How political is the environment? And what individual attributes and interpersonal styles appear to be most valued in the culture?
- How well positioned are you for success in this environment? In what ways are you naturally suited to this environment and in what ways will you need to adapt?
- What is your plan for building power and becoming influential in this setting? What specific actions will you need to take before starting the job, early in the role, and how will your actions evolve over time?
- What are the ethical dilemmas you might face in implementing your plan and how will you handle these dilemmas? How will you remain true to yourself in the process?
For section 2 exhibits do not count against the page limit, but exhibits cannot simply be text that you could not fit into the limit – they must be a way of presenting data, frameworks, or plans that incorporates some table or graphics. Exhibits from the uploaded resources or outside resources can be used. Your grade will be based on the depth of your understanding of core course concepts and how well you apply these concepts to your real-world context, how well you understand yourself and the balance of creativity and pragmatism displayed in your action plans.
Please label the 2 sections separately.