A windshield survey is a composite of subjective data collected through personal observations about people, their life-styles, and the environment in which they live and work. Use your five senses while driving around and surveying your community. Your data will include only your perceptions of what you “SEE, HEAR, SMELL, TOUCH & TASTE.”
Do not interview anyone or obtain “objective” data for this assignment.
For this assignment, you should drive through a neighborhood of your choice. Answer all of the questions below in a narrative format using 12 point Times New Roman font. Make sure to include interpretation of the data collected, not just a list of everything you see. For example, if the community you are surveying lacks sidewalks, what impact does that have for the residents in the community? Or, if the community you choose has multiple fast-food restaurants, what does that mean for the health of those that live there? This paper should be typed, 2-3 pages in length, double-spaced, with a title page correct, current APA format. You will not need to provide a reference page. Please refer to the “Owl at Purdue” website for the most current updates related to APA format.
This exercise will give you a better appreciation of how important the windshield survey is to a community health nurse.
- Housing and Zoning
- a) What is the age of the buildings?
- b) What are the buildings made of?
- c) Are the residences single family or multifamily dwellings?
- d) What is the size and condition of the lots (repaired or damaged)?
- e) Is the area well maintained or in disrepair?
- f) Is there garbage strewn?
- g) Are there trashed/abandoned cars, places for rodents or other wildlife to hide,
- Parks and Recreational Areas
- a) Are there playing areas for children and/or adults?
- b) Are they safe and maintained?
- c) Who use them?
- Common Areas
- a) Where do people collect for social gatherings?
- b) Is there a community “hang out” area?
- c) Are they for particular groups or are they open to all?
- d) Are there signs posted?
- a) What stores (grocery, retail, drug, dry cleaning, etc.) are in the area?
- b) How do residents travel to them?
- a) How do most people get around the area?
- b) Is there public transportation? If so what kind and does it appear to be used?
- c) Who uses it? What is the condition of the streets, roads, highways?
- Service Centers
- a) What type of service centers are located within your community– health care,
social services, schools, employment offices etc.?
- b) Are there shelters for homeless in your community?
- c) Where are the nearest hospitals in your community?
d) Are there meal programs for the elderly and homeless?
Have a similar Assignment, let one of our writers assist. Place order ESSAYPANTHERS