The purpose of this chapter is to review and critically analyse the academic literature pertinent to the research question(s) – this chapter also provides material to be used in the data collection stage.
To do this successfully the student should:
- Ensure the reviewed literature is relevant by using the research question(s) as sub-headings, at least in the draft stage.
- Demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of the academic debates relevant to their topic.
- Critically analyse key contributions, identifying their strengths and weaknesses, testing their internal consistency, and acknowledging and presenting the inevitable counter-arguments.
- Avoid presenting literature uncritically – this does not demonstrate understanding.
- Avoid presenting only the positive side of an argument, as a researcher he/she must acknowledge and evaluate the negative aspects of their chosen topic.
- Summarize the chapter and introduce the next chapter.
Do you have a similar assignment/prompt? Let one of our professional writers take care of it. Place an order at Essaypanthers; pay only 50% of the order and send balance upon receiving your completed paper